Have you ever wanted to build your own “ransomware” well now with Tox you can do just that. Believe it or not, but Tox is completely free to use. The developers of the online software make money by taking a cut (20%) of any successful ransomware campaigns its users run. So the free part is only if you successfully get some money from it, but still not bad for anyone that doesn’t know to code their own. Tox, which runs on TOR, requires not much technical skills to use and is designed in such a way that almost anyone can easily deploy ransomware in three simple steps, according to security researchers at McAfee who discovered the kit.
How to Setup your Custom Maleware?
- Type a desired ransom amount you want to ask victims for.
- Provide an additional note in the “Cause“, presumably the message that will alert victims that they are being held hostage to a piece of malware.
- Finally, you are prompted to fill out a captcha, and click “Create“.
Your Now ready to infect people:
How to Protect Yourself from Ransomware Threat?
Protecting yourself from this is quite easy to do, here are a few steps to protect yourself from the malware aka ransomware:
- Remember always to keep regular backups of your important data.
- Make sure that you run an active anti-virus security suite of tools on your machine.
- Do not open any email attachments from unknown sources.
- Finally, browse the Internet safely, aka do not go to any shady websites that you don’t know about.